The Summer Children by Dot Hutchison - Book 3 of the Collector's series

 


Young children are being left on Mercedes Ramirez's doorstep with a teddy bear. They've been told that she will keep them safe. The frequency increases and children are left around town at random. The common aspect - most of these children have been abused and damaged for life. Mercedes knows what that means and has dedicated her life to help children, no matter what. The question looming large is, at which moment does rescuing a child do more harm than good?

This book reads from the POV of Mercedes Ramirez. She has a history which is known to Vic and Eddison, the two people she is closest to. When it repeats itself in the form of hundreds of children, there is only so much she can do, but she does it nonetheless. An Angel is killing off abusive parents and forcing children to watch so they know they are safe. She then makes sure they are found by Mercedes.

This books is an improvement over the 2nd in the series. I could read it and kept me engaged. Although, I must add, I knew who the killer was immediately the moment they were introduced. I suppose I've caught up to the writing technique. It's a decent plot. Characters from the 1st and 2nd books make appearances here and there but by now you're used to it because they're part of the Quantico Three's lives. I liked the addition of Sterling to this team; she's a good cop.

I was filled with extreme sadness and anger during and after reading this book. The absolute horrifying truth that children are and can be abused by the very people who birthed them, are family or friends is so terrifying. All I can say is, if you see something or hear something, please find courage to help the child out. The foster care system is broken across the world but if we can make a difference, we should.
This is my takeaway from this book and it's a crucial one.

The book should come with a trigger warning though. Please be aware.

I give it 3/5 mainly because I knew who the killer was.

#thesummerchildren #dothutchison #crimethrillerbooks fiction #thriller
#bookrecommendations #booklover crime thriller #collectorseries


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling