Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman




Eleanor Oliphant believes that her life is normal, as it should be; her schedule is perfect and she is completely fine. She is awkward at social interactions, doesn't understand or care that others find her weird and wants to keep being the way she is.

I predominantly read thrillers but decided to pick this one up for a change. It's such a sweet, funny and sad book at the same time.

In my younger years, I was an extrovert. Always seen, always heard. Taking up space where I should. Now over the last 7-8 odd years, I have become a complete introvert. I love hanging out with my people, sticking to a routine and protesting against change even if it's good for me. I have lived alone in a house for a some time and while doing so, I realised there is a difference between loneliness and solitude. I enjoyed solitude, my own company. I was never lonely, even when I was alone.

Eleanor is lonely, but she doesn't understand it. She's strange to others but she is self aware for the most part. One day she sees the love of her life and her thoughts change. The next day she meets Raymond, the IT guy at her office whom she dislikes instantly. When she and Raymond end up helping and elderly man Sammy from his fall, her life changes.

The three form a bond and help each other through feelings they don't understand but are trying to. Eleanor for her part, is learning about friendship, hidden grief and trust. All three characters are broken but the takeaway is that there is always hope. I'm glad the book wasn't heavy on the romance. The book will make you realize how small comforts mean so much to us and how hard it can be to change when our hearts don't want to. Author @gailhoneyman did well!

We're all broken is some way or another, but human resilience and that small kindling of hope is always alive within us, no matter how deep we try to bury it. There's always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how long, windy and bumpy the
road is.

I rate it 3.75/5

#eleanoroliphantiscompletelyfine #eleanoroliphant #gailhoneyman #lifelessons #bookstagrammer #bookrecommendations #booklover

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling