The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie - A Miss Marple Mystery


Mr and Mrs Bantry wake up to find the body of a young woman in their library, with no idea of who she is or how she came to be there. Mrs.Bantry immediately calls up her friend, Miss Marple, to help investigate and solve the crime before the village of St. Mary Mead gossips and ruins the Bantrys social standing. There are suspects galore and they all seem to have a connection with The Majestic hotel and the Jefferson family. While the investigation continues, another body is found and now Miss Marple knows just the direction her investigation needs to follow!

This is the first Miss Marple book I have read. I was in a slump for a bit and really didn't think of the order. Just picked up the book from my shelf and started reading. I have to say I am very biased to the incredible Monsieur Poirot and was pretty grumpy when I started reading this book. I was proven wrong and how! This is such a warm & cosy read and Miss Marple is such a wonderful lady. She's abreast of the village gossip, but always uses the information to glean knowledge and uses said information to solve crimes.

The premise of the book is very intriguing with strange folks who are suspects - the enigmatic Mr. Conway Jefferson who had a special interest in the dead girl, his daughter in law and son in law, the guests at the hotel and an incredibly rude neighbour involved in the film fraternity, Basil Blake. Who the killer turns out to be is a surprise, and a good one.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. I kind of had an inkling of who the killer might be and I was right. However, what I found surprising, was the intricate connections and relationships between the characters that led to the arrest of the murderer. Agatha Christie is an author like no other. I cannot explain how much I love reading Monsieur Poirot's books; and now I have an entire series of Miss Marple books to enjoy!

I give this book a 4/5.

#agathachristiefan #agathachristie #agathachristiebooks #missmarple
#missmarplebooks #thebodyinthelibrary #mystery #cosymystery #stmarymead #fiction #fictionbooks #bookrecommendations #booklover #bookstagrammer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie