The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

 


Millie is looking for a job after being sacked from her previous one and having spent 10 years in jail. A fact she does not want her new potential employer to know. Nina Winchester, married to the wealthy Andrew Winchester, is looking for a nanny/house keeper and seems to love Millie immediately. A week goes by post their interview and Millie gets the job. She is happy on two accounts - one, she doesn't have to live in her car any more and two, she can earn some money to sustain herself. With all of them having secrets and agendas, one thing remains clear - this is not a happy ending for some.

This book has been recommended on so many forums that I had to give in and read. It started off well enough and didn't make me want to DNF it. What it did make me feel, was the intense urge to slap every single person in this book. Even the kid. I am an incredibly non violent person, so this was a very strange. Nonetheless, I kept reading and eventually understood that my urge was very accurate. Every person in this book is selfish, except Enzo, the Italian gardener. He tries his best to help the people stuck in inescapable situations. This also means that the author has written has characters well.

This book is Millie and Nina's dance. They are the ones keeping each other in the dark and trying to get what they want. There is intrigue, a bit of suspense and in the end, everyone gets what they want. And in one case, exactly what they deserve.

It's a good read. I was curious to know more and it did deliver. It's not an exceptionally outstanding book but it's not a slob either. I have therefore placed a hold on more of Miss McFadden's books at my local library. I'm assuming these kind of books are called Domestic thrillers, and I am quite enjoying this genre. My true passion, however, is serial crime, police procedure and an incredible investigator. Until I find a good series I will devour this genre as much as I can.

I give this a 3.75/5

#freidamcfaddenauthor #thehousemaid #crime #thriller #fiction #bookstagrammer #bookrecommendations #bookloversofinstagram #ninawinchester #millie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling