The Teacher by Freida McFadden

 





Eve and Nate are a married couple, who also teach at Caseham High. Eve is a Math teacher, very good at her job, very formal with her students and therefore not a favourite of the students. Nate, on the other hand is a good looking man, very empathetic and a student favourite. Caseham High is still reeling from a scandal involving a teacher and student name Addie. Addie lies, tries to hurt people and has a hidden past. But now she has a new secret. How far will she go to keep it and what becomes of the people who cross her?

This book gave me the ick, mainly because it deals with the topic of student teacher relationship and it creeps me out. Eve and Nate have such different personalities that even as a reader, you are astounded that they are still married. Addie is vulnerable, and has heaps of baggage. She is bullied and harassed and finds comfort in poetry. The entire plot revolves around how Eve and Addie's paths cross and the consequences of actions, both past and present, that haunt everyone involved.

I have to be honest, I wanted to reach out and slap a few people in this book. Hard. There is good reason for it and I think Freida has done a good job making you feel that way. The last 25% of the book will lead you to a heap of questions which all go unanswered. They will remain with you long after you have finished reading, because they make no sense. A few things will surprise you but for the most part it's an average read. Again, given the subject matter, this book was not to my liking.

My favourite book of Freida, so far, remains Never Lie. I liked it better than any of the others I have read. Therefore, for this moment, I will take a break from reading her books for a bit.

Read it at your descretion and be aware of the trigger warnings.

I give it 2.75/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling